FGP From the Inside: Week 5

Our series From the Inside took a few weeks rest but is back now! Here is another inside look from our Director of Programs, Andie McConnell. 
On Monday, we will hear from board member, Erin Kessel and Friday from DC Coordinator and board member, Lisa Mendelow. Stay tuned!


Often when I am in meetings with potential volunteers or  donors or when I am talking to friends or family, I am asked the same 2 questions about FGP.  I thought it might be worth an explanation here for those who might have just found us!

1. How did you even get involved in this?
Pediatric cancer seemed to be a recurring theme in my life. Thankfully, none of my family members have had it but I repeatedly learned of children with it.  I never had a connection to a child with cancer but repeatedly to family members of one which is why our mission focuses on the families.
In 2002, I taught a sweet little girl whose older brother had brain cancer. I remember that little girl so well and the sadness in her face, how quiet and reserved she was about all that was going on in her life and I remember her loving parents.  Parents who were facing the worst but still made it in for conferences for their healthy child. I remember their concern over her getting lost in the shuffle because of all that was going on in their family and their struggles because their extended family was states away through all of this. Then, in 2003, there was the neighbor in Phoenix whose son survived brain cancer and she shared how people they expected to support them disappeared and those that they didn't expect to support them were their biggest supporters. Then in 2009, I met Jill and, I can honestly say, my whole world changed. You can read all about that here.  When I surveyed families facing pediatric cancer, I realized the need for family support wasn't just in the families I had met, but in any family facing pediatric cancer. It was then that I decided that I needed to do what I hoped someone would do for me if one of my children was diagnosed with cancer.


2.Isn't it depressing doing what you do?
I can honestly say no. I think in lots of ways life can be depressing. I mean really: there is illness, sadness, death and grief all around us, but there is also joy, laughter, love and friendship. Working with FGP families is the same thing. There are aspects of it that are, of course, sad but there is so much joy in helping others, knowing that we are brightening the days of parents facing one of the worst imaginable scenarios and that there are volunteers out there who are feeling like they have made a difference because of FGP. What is depressing about that? Nothing. The reality is that cancer is everywhere. 46 children a day are diagnosed. We can either cringe and hide from that stat or know that we are doing what we can to take away a bit of stress as those families face the reality of their children's diagnoses. I choose the latter.


Number 3 often comes via email.

3. I have a friend who has cancer and she is the mother to 3 little ones and they could really use help. Can you provide them with some?(or some similar story)
This question always pulls at our heartstrings. I know our Photography Director has been faced by this question on a few occasions as well. The answer is we would LOVE to help, but we simply can't. We have a mission that we follow that was developed because of our inspiration and we have to stick to it. The one time we make an exception, the flood gates will open. We are trying to be fair and focused. I know this lets some people down and I am truly sorry for that. There is so much need and sadness in our world that if we didn't focus on one need, we would be overwhelmed with requests and not have the resources to meet the needs of families facing pediatric cancer.

Andie McConnell is our Director of Programs. If you have questions for her or are interested in volunteering, please email andie@fairygodmotherproject.org .

No comments:

Post a Comment