FGP From the Inside: Week 6

Lisa Mendelow serves on our board as the DC Coordinator

As a single person with no kids living in urban DC, there was a much better chance of my getting involved at a nearby homeless shelter, tutoring inner city kids, donating clothes... or doing a myriad of other city dweller-type volunteer activities. Sure, I gave some time or money here and there, because I do feel strongly about contributing to my surrounding community and making a difference. 

But then a year ago the unexpected happened... and has continued to happen ever since, in ways both agonizingly beautiful and heart-rending: A little girl in my neighborhood, whose parents I knew only peripherally was diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer just after her first birthday. BOMBSHELL, to say the least. Then the next surprise: I fell in love with this child and her family and came to know them and others like them through the wonderful world of blogs. I still can't say what the pull was, but something in me was drawn to reach out and give of myself in a way beyond just feeling obliged to be a good citizen of the world. This was REAL to me and yet, short of volunteering at a hospital, running a race or raising money for research, what could I REALLY do to make a difference? 

Cue unexpected item #3: Finding FGP, an organization based an hour away from the gritty city, in bucolic Fredericksburg, VA. 

I learned of FGP on a family's blog and reached out to Andie right away. At the time, she and Stephanie were pretty much the only volunteers, driven by their own passion and determination, but ready to accept any help one was willing to give. I dug in right away, helping with a new logo, working directly with a family in Alexandria, working on the new website and putting together a training session for new volunteers. And in between, Andie and I would spend literally hours on the phone bouncing ideas around for ways to grow this little grassroots operation. Throughout, I've been just astounded at the capacity for kindness I've witnessed, whether it be Andie and Stephanie -- two people whose lives weren't directly touched by cancer, who literally pour their hearts and souls into this cause -- or the mom of "my family" -- who, despite being a single parent with a sick child, still finds it in her to give her own time to help less fortunate single moms.

When I first connected with FGP, I had no idea it was possible to make a direct impact in such a short time, and most importantly, to continually learn from and be inspired by these new friends. Yes, the pain of seeing little ones and their families suffer is beyond unbearable, but it just fuels even more of a desire to make things at least just a little easier for them. I guess it's no wonder, then, that FGP has grown by leaps and bounds. After all, when you're driven by passion, what else can you expect?!

Would you like to witness the capacity for kindness in those involved with FGP? Email us at volunteers@fairygodmotherproject.org! 

No comments:

Post a Comment