FGP From the Inside: Week 7

From our Program Director, Andie McConnell

"The best way to cheer yourself is to try to cheer somebody else up." Mark Twain

When our newsletter went out, my aunt sent me an email saying she was making a donation to FGP (YAY!). She also wrote that she was amazed at what I had been doing especially with 3 children. She isn't the only one to point out that having young kids and starting a nonprofit don't seem to go hand in hand.  The reality is for me, they do. I have never been happier with myself as a mom than I am now. I had many days in the first years of motherhood where I felt unappreciated and unchallenged but FGP solves all that and more for me.


1. I have a whole new perspective on everyday things. A cold? Big deal. Stitches? So what? A sleepless night? No problem. My children may bring me challenges from time to time, but they are alive and they are healthy. I embrace that and them  in a way I never did before.

2. I am fulfilled, enriched and challenged. Being those three things helps me handle the blubbering, whining and tears easier than in the past. Knowing there is a meeting with another nonprofit in the morning or a scheduled call later in the evening helps me make my way through these challenges.  Being fulfilled, enriched and challenged  allows me to still be smiling when my husband gets home from work (most days).

3. I make my time with my kids count. I used to spend the afternoon chatting on the phone with girlfriends but now I try to avoid that and be available to my children. Today I was very available and read 22 books in one sitting (Yawn).

4. I am setting a great example for them. I am showing them what it means to give back. And  I am showing that if you work hard, and surround yourself with like minded people, you can accomplish your goals.

Mark Twain was definitely right. Working with these families cheers me because I am helping to cheer them. 

Interested in cheering yourself up by helping FGP families? Please email us at info@fairygodmotherproject.org




No comments:

Post a Comment