FGP from the Inside: Week 1

In an attempt to spread the word about FGP and pediatric cancer, it has been suggested that we write more on our blog. So here it goes.....

Andie's Perspective

My thoughts have been pulled to what has been accomplished in the last few months since FGP got going. I am so proud of all of it: the support from the community, the volunteers we have recruited and maintained but the thing that stands out most for me is how my life has been enriched by FGP. It was obvious to me in the beginning that it would feel good to help others and that I would be setting a positive example for my children about what it means to give back especially to those in crisis. But it is the things I didn't expect to get out of it; it is the relationships that have developed over the last few months, the things I have learned about myself and the things I have learned from others that are most pronounced. I always go back to when we were interviewed for the Free Lance Star article, she asked me what it was like to be the Fairy Godmother to all these children. And I realized that we aren't; we are the Fairy Godmothers to the parents so that they can be less stressed in a very emotional, stressful situation which helps the family as a whole.

The Moms

As FGP started, I took the role of lead volunteer or family liaison (still haven't picked what to call it) for our families.  That means  that I am the go between for the families. I send the moms weekly emails with when meals will arrive, when/if the lawn or house will be done, reminders about the available resources like hair cuts, nights out and so on. I also check on them whether via phone, text, visit or email just as a reminder that FGP is here and that we care.

As FGP grows, my husband helps me make lists of what I do and then check what I can delegate. One day he suggested I delegate one of my four families to someone else. I tried to consider it, but I couldn't. And then I tried explaining to him why it wasn't an option, but I couldn't put it into words because of the lump in my throat. These moms, who are my primary contacts, have become my friends.  I am sure there is some line I have crossed in some world where I am becoming "too involved" but I don't know how to do it any other way nor do I want to. I cherish the relationships I have established with these women. And how could I not? I have sat with one while she told one of her children over the phone that her sibling's cancer has spread, I have spent hours in the car with one mom learning about her pre-kid life, I've listened to plans for another baby and so much more. And through all of that and everything they are going through, each of them asks me about me, my kids and my life.

Not too long ago, one of our families decided that we should focus our efforts on another family that had a new diagnosis for fear FGP didn't have enough resources to do it all. The mom emailed me to say just that and I cried and then I composed myself and wrote them an email pretty much begging them to let us continue helping. And I don't use the term begging lightly (maybe I wasn't so composed). I explained that at this point they were stuck with me and therefore FGP because we are invested in them and committed to seeing them through this horrible thing called pediatric cancer. And we ARE very, very INVESTED.

If you are interested in getting involved in FGP, please email us at info@fairygodmotherproject.org for more information! You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment