A Volunteer's Perspective

Words from our volunteer, Mandy:

One of my greatest fears is of something happening to one of my boys. I am quite certain that watching my own child battle something as horrible as cancer, and not having any power to make it better, would knock me to my knees quicker than anything else I can think of. I don't claim to know what the parents of pediatric patients go through, but I would imagine that on my knees-unless it is to pray- would not be where that sweet child would need me during such a time in his life. I believe he would need every bit of what I had to give during every single day of that fight. I think that I would probably have less to  give than on others, but my child, and the rest of my family, would still need me just as much.

Those thoughts are what brought me to Fairy Godmother Project initially, and the desire to help and encourage the families during such a hard time in their lives is why I keep cooking for them.  My hope is that by making and delivering a meal, I can reduce some of the strain on the families we serve.  I hope that by allowing them not to worry about dinner even just one night a week, I can help make that day one where those precious parents have just a little bit more to give to each other and to their kids.  I may never meet any of the FGP families, but I hope that when the food shows up at their door they will feel encouraged and cared about, because they are.

Interested in reducing the strain on these families? Email info@fairygodmotherproject.org

No comments:

Post a Comment